- Get a vaccine
- Take everyday actions
- Take flu antiviral drugs if prescribed.
Everyday actions are simple steps:
- Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water, using the alcohol based hand sanitizers if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Don’t shake hands if you are sick. I’ve found people are very understanding if you explain you have or are getting a cold and don’t want to spread germs. Colds and flu are one thing no one wants as a gift from someone else.
- If you are sick, stay home. You should stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever breaks.
Employers can help by promoting the flu vaccine, even offering at your workplace, reminding people about the importance of hand washing, and providing hand sanitizers.